Thursday, January 17, 2013

¡Feliz Cumpleaños!: Birthday Dinner at Distrito

For my birthday last Friday my friends and I dined at Distrito. The restaurant is conveniently located a few blocks away from campus on Chestnut Street. I was curious about the Distrito after hearing many rave reviews from fellow Penn students. Boasting traditional, tapas-style meals from the capital of Mexico, Distrito is the perfect restaurant for people who love Latin cuisine. Be warned, though. The portions are small, so order at least two items. The waiter suggested each person order two items and have everyone share. I ordered a roasted pork tamale and an enchilada de pollo. Both items were very delicious. One of my friends ordered the carne asada; which consisted of chopped, NY Strip steak, adobo, and creamy poblano corn rice. The poblano corn rice had a very interesting texture that was similar to creamy risotto. The chopped steak was very tender and seasoned adequately. One of my other friends ordered the carnitas tacos made with pulled pork, black beans, and pineapple salsa. The fusion of sweet salsa with savory black beans added an interesting spin to a traditional taco. We finished dinner off with a chocolate cake and virgin margaritas. I'm a fan of tapas, so the small portions did not bother me. Actually, I think sharing meals adds to the restaurant atmosphere and makes the experience more personal- almost like eating with your family. The items on the menu were moderately priced compared to other Mexican restaurants. I thoroughly enjoyed my birthday dinner and hope to visit the restaurant again soon. My experience at Distrito added to the start of a memorable birthday night.

--Ashlee Burris

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...