Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Chocolate Tart

Over winter break, I was lazy. At home, I can basically cook whatever comes to my mind, no matter how over the top it is or how obscure its ingredients are. This is because my parents are more willing to give me extra money for groceries when I make the food!

So, of course I was looking forward to cooking and experimenting quite a bit at home, but when I got there I realized something: I also enjoy doing nothing. Every day I was busy hanging out with my friends, and when I got a new camera for Christmas, I decided that I was going to try and make stuff that is not only delicious, but that also looks good in photographs-- and that isn't extremely difficult to make. Naturally, I began my break with a chocolate dish.

This recipe comes straight from David Lebovitz and as far as I can tell, it is perfect. It is not too difficult to make, though make sure you read the steps before you begin so you don't panic and accidentally add the eggs too early, basically making caramel scrambled eggs. Yuck. If you pay attention and make it correctly, this tart is incredibly delicious. It is also so very pretty. Take a look.

PS... I hope you guys like the new camera.


From David Lebovitz:

1 1/4 cup (250 g) sugar
6 tablespoons (90 ml) warm coffee
4 ounces (115 g) unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
pinch of sea salt
4 ounces (115 g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 ounces (55 g) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 large eggs
1/4 cup (35 g) flour
1 tablespoon dark rum or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

One 9- or 10-inch (23 cm – 25 cm) prebaked tart shell (such as French tart dough)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC.)

2. Spread the sugar in an even layer in the bottom of a large, heavy-duty saucepan or Dutch oven. Cook the sugar over moderate heat until the edges liquefy and being to caramelize. Use a heatproof utensil to gently drag the liquefied sugar toward the center of the pan, encouraging the sugar to melt evenly.

3. Once the sugar is melted, it was caramelize rather quickly. When it starts to smoke, but before it burns, turn off the heat and stir in the coffee. (The mixture will bubble and seize a bit. Be sure to avert your face and you may wish to wear oven mitts.)

4. If the caramel has seized up in places, stir it gently over low heat until smooth. Then add the butter and salt, and stir until melted, then stir in both chocolates until smooth*.

5. Mix in the eggs, then the flour. Stir in the rum or vanilla extract.

6. Pour the mixture into the pre-baked tart shell, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes, just until the filling starts to rise and crack at the edges but the center is still jiggly. Do not overbake.

Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing.

Storage: Tart will keep for up to three days at room temperature, well-wrapped.

Troubleshooting: If any bits of caramel remain after adding the butter, simply stir the mixture over very low heat until they’re all completely dissolved. If any stubborn little bits remain, you can strain the buttery caramel through a mesh sieve, before adding the chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...