Thursday, October 4, 2012

Think Healthy: Flax Seeds

Before I came to college, I never really thought about what I ate, and basically shoveled everything - from Cheetos to Coke - in my mouth. After getting to Penn, though, and succumbing to all of the fast food and cafeteria options on campus, I realized eating unhealthy was just really, really bad. As the laziest person ever, I never actively tried fixing my diet and always thought that eating right simply required way too much work and planning, not to mention ingredients that a poor college student would never be able to afford. However, I've slowly (but surely) come to realize that eating healthy is actually extremely easy, and so that's what this weekly blog post is going to be about – easy ways to eat healthier!

Anyways, moving on. My first and most useful tip on eating healthier: add some flax seeds to your diet! Flax seeds are these tiny brown things that kind of look like sesame seeds, but don’t taste like them at all; in fact, they don’t really taste like anything. When you grind them up, though, all of their nutrition comes out. Just two tablespoons contains enough omega-3 essential fatty acids, lignans, and fibers to keep you healthy for a whole day. What’s more is that these miracle seeds are proven to reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and stroke. You can add them to anything and they’re pretty much tasteless; I add a spoonful to my oatmeal each morning and it just makes me feel that much healthier (and look how yummy that overnight oatmeal looks)! Try adding it to your brownie mix or as a salad topping. You can even replace an egg in baking recipes by using three parts water with one part flax seed to make a vegan egg replacement that works exactly the same but doesn’t have all that bad cholesterol and calories.So what do you have to lose? Go out and try adding some flax seed to your diet; it’s good for you in the long run, easy to use, and makes you sound ultra vegan and hipster when you tell your friends about it. And nothing’s better than that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...