Monday, September 26, 2011

Autumn Pie Adventures

As the leaves begin to flaunt bright colors of autumn and the air suddenly starts to dance with the crisp smell of approaching windy chills, nothing sounds more inviting than a trip to your local orchard. Eager-eyed children embark on their first hayride while mothers gush over fresh apple cider and sugared donuts. Nothing says fall like the fact that the two most sought after treats of the season have finally ripened to perfection: pumpkins and apples. The pumpkin patches are overflowing with massive orange fruit while the apple trees are teeming with varieties ranging from the sweet and subtle to the statement-making tart. The one food that comes to mind when I think of what has single-handedly described my autumn experience for as long as I can remember is pie.

While growing up, I lived close to a family owned orchard that made the most delicious fruit pies. Every once in a while when my mother and I stopped by the orchard to pick up some fresh peaches or apples, we couldn’t help but wander over to the pie display and choose a perfectly crafted pie to take home with us. After eating so many scrumptious slices of this sweet treat, my mother and I decided to try our hand at making our own pies. From then on, it became a family tradition to venture over to the orchard every fall, pick our own apples, and make a yummy pie to share with friends and family. For this reason, I have become something of a pie aficionado. As for apple pie this year, I probably won’t be able to make it to the orchard anytime soon, so the apples at the farmer’s markets around the city will definitely serve as an excellent substitute.

This summer, I made a delicious peach blueberry pie that I shared with family and friends. Below is the recipe for the super easy pie that will be sure to please!

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups sliced peeled fresh peaches
1 cup fresh blueberries
Two pie crusts (9 inches each)
Milk, to brush
Cinnamon-sugar mixture


Directions

1) In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add the peaches and blueberries and toss gently.
2) Line a pie plate with bottom crust, add the filling, and top with the remaining crust. Brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
3) Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Cool completely and serve!

-- Monica Purmalek

3 comments:

  1. I love the artsy opening and the fabulous word play you used! Your amazing choice of words make the article even more lively than other food blogs - they deliciously embody the pangs of envy that run through my mind whenever I think about food. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely article! Informative, engaging, and reminding us of how special family traditions are. I'm definitely looking forward to trying this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...