Thursday, May 5, 2011

Krispy Kreme's Grand Opening

Although I grew up on Dunkin' Donuts, I must admit that I have a special place in my heart for Krispy Kremes, which I think are significantly lighter and airier by comparison.

Even though I got to pass by the Krispy Kreme at Penn Station in New York every single morning and afternoon for several years, the most memorable Krispy Kreme experience I ever had was driving up to a store in Atlanta at 11:30 at night, when the sign for HOT donuts glowed brightly red. It was heaven to sink my teeth into a warm gooey original glazed donut. And at that random hour, it tasted especially good. Mmmm....

Which is a long way to say that I was thrilled when I found out that Krispy Kreme was opening a store in Center City, right at 16th and Chestnut!

While it would've been thrilling to win a dozen original glazed donuts every week for a year (the reward for being the first person to walk through the door), there was simply no way that I would've been able to get there at 6 in the morning. Nor would I have started waiting at 4:30 in the afternoon the day before--which apparently the first person did.

It was impressive enough that I wandered over and waited 15 minutes in the rain to get in the door--which was monitored by a security guard! Amidst TV cameras, many Krispy Kreme lovers, and (apparently) Mayor Nutter, I picked up two dozen original glazed donuts for my friends at the office and at the gym (so ironic, I know). I also decided to treat myself to a special dulce de leche donut, which was very light and airy, but would've been better with a creamier dulce de leche in the middle.

There were honestly so many kinds of donuts to choose from that the girl in front of me (who was picking one up for a friend--how dedicated!) was slightly overwhelmed. I'm excited to go back and try the rest, but for today, I was happy to share the originals.


If you haven't tried them yet, I think it's about time...

Krispy Kreme Philadelphia
16th and Chestnut Streets
http://www.krispykremephilly.com/

And if you have, well then, it's time to get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...