Monday, March 14, 2011

Pasta with Garlic and Tomato

I love to cook new and exciting foods, but sometimes I like to come up with a simple recipe using whatever ingredients I can find in my fridge. So with my time over spring break I've come up with a really easy recipe that satisfied my hunger and cleaned out my fridge a little too.

I made this just for myself so feel free to make more if you're cooking for two or more people.

All you need is:
1/4 pound pasta (I used rigatoni but you can use penne or any other pasta of your choice)
6 cherry tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or less if you don't like spice)
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp basil (I used dried because I didn't have fresh but if you have fresh, definitely use it)
a splash of vegetable stock (or chicken stock, whichever you have)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil to cook the garlic and tomatoes

Bring a pot of water to a boil to cook the pasta. While you wait for the water to boil dice the tomatoes and mince the garlic. Then in a pan with olive oil saute the tomatoes and garlic. To the pan, add the red pepper flakes, onion powder, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook them all together as the pasta cooks. Once the pasta is cooked to al dente, drain it and put it in your bowl.
When the tomatoes have started to break down and everything has caramelized a little you can add the vegetable stock which will help create a sauce for the pasta. If you want to make the sauce more tomato-y you can add a can of tomato sauce to the pan instead. After cooking the sauce for a minute or two you can add it to the pasta.
It's really simple and easy, and it tastes good. In just minutes you can have a fresh pasta dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...