Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cookies to Crave

I’m not a huge cookie fan. Personally, I prefer more decadent desserts like cheesecake and red velvet cupcakes, or elaborate desserts like pumpkin whoopie pies filled with chai-infused cream cheese. Cookies to me are boring: if you’re going to have dessert, really have dessert. I have come across only one place in my life that makes cookies that make me rescind this statement. That place is called Mattheesen and Magilner’s Candy Kitchen. Each cookie costs $5, but weighs half a pound. By no means are their chocolate chip cookies just chocolate chip cookies. Believe me, they are worth every dollar and every ounce. These cookies are not only massive, but also very rich and gooey—the definition of decadent. My mom, my sister, and I bought one to share every chance we got. We even bought one each for ourselves for the plane ride home! The problem is, Mattheesen’s is in Key West. That makes it kind of hard to satisfy a craving when we live in Philly for most of the year. However, I have found a cookie place right in Philly that is pretty comparable. The cookies are not a half pound each (nor are they $5 each). But they are delicious!

They can be found at The Famous 4th Street Cookie Co. at Reading Terminal Market. I got the chocolate covered chocolate chip cookie. The cookie itself is chewy and moist. It is so rich that it does not just fall apart in your mouth, but really melts on your tongue, allowing you to savor every morsel. And the chocolate that enveloped it was very sweet, not just an ordinary milk chocolate coating, but it seemed to have a confectioner's sugar base, giving it a unique sweet and sticky taste and texture. The 4th Street Cookie Co. also sells peanut butter chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, sugar, butter almond, white chocolate macadamia nut, and oatmeal raisin. I plan to try the peanut butter chocolate chip next. My roommate has vouched for the snickerdoodle. These cookies are worth the trip even if you just get the cookies!

The Famous 4th Street Cookie Company
Reading Terminal Market
51 North 12th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107 
215.625.9870

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...