Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Refrigerator Pickles

One of my goals has been to make my own pickles. Who knows why, just one of those things I thought would be neat. I started easy in my pickling by making refrigerator pickles which do not require any real canning skills. I altered a recipe I found here.



1 English Cucumber sliced 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal
2 celery stalks, sliced 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal
Coarse salt
1.5 cups sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons traditional pickling mix from McCormick (I know, I know premixed spices are completely unnecessary, but I thought it would be a safe choice)


Place cucumber and celery in colander with about a tablespoon the coarse salt. Toss to coat and let drain about half an hour to an hour.

Place the sugar and vinegar into an airtight container and stir until all of the sugar is dissolved. This is key to not have crystals of sugar hanging on your pickle slices.

Add the pickling spices and and the cucumber, mix just enough to combine and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
The pickles are sweet and nicely tart.

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious! You should try adding garlic or hot peppers.

    ReplyDelete

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...