Sunday, November 28, 2010

My Dining Hall Mission

Every year Penn forces their freshmen to purchase dining plans. The meals are mediocre most of the time, but worse, the food is extremely overpriced and nobody ever uses up all of their meal swipes. So I came up with a plan: with only about a month left in the semester and 75 meals remaining to my name, I knew I would have to do something drastic if I wanted to put my meal plan to good use.

So, I decided to find out: is it possible to eat every single meal in the dining halls for a week?

7 days and 19 meals later I can tell you that yes, it is possible, but not very much fun. There were some surprises along the way (food that was actually worth eating) and some low points (food that was plain inedible). All in all, I'm glad the week is over.

I ate 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 7 dinners, and 2 brunches in the week. 15 of the meals took place at 1920 Commons, 3 at Hill. and 1 at Kings Court. Brunch was by far my favorite meal that was served in the dining halls. At one brunch I had a made-to-order omelet with ham, mushrooms, and green peppers that was tasty. At the other, I had broccoli quiche and bacon.

Another one of my favorite meals was an Asian salad I had one night at Commons. Usually when I look at the salad bar, I am saddened by the lack of variety in the salad dressings so when I saw one night that they had Asian sesame dressing I was intrigued. I made a spinach salad with shredded carrots and sesame crackers and the dressing. I was surprised that it was actually really good.

The week contained more misses than hits though. One morning for breakfast at Commons I had a sausage and cheese sandwich so hard I could have chipped a tooth. Another day I had a super dry piece of salmon with an overly sweet glaze on it from Hill for lunch.

So I guess my mission was a success. I only have 50 meals left, which I'm sure I'll be able to use up before the end of the semester, and I proved that it's possible to eat in the dining halls for a week. I'm taking a break for a little while now, but I'm sure I'll be back to Commons soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. hrmm...
    i ate a whole semester fully at penn's dining halls... excluding fall and thanksgiving break.
    everything was alright.
    at least we have food. and ICE CREAM! a lot of the world has neither.

    ReplyDelete

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...