Wednesday, September 29, 2010

An Apple a Day...


These days farmers markets are few and far between, and in a world filled with artificial everything, the freshness of farmers market produce is hard to pass up. Just simply standing at the corner of 36th and Walnut on a Wednesday afternoon among the tomatoes, grapes, and, of course, the apples, it was easy to forget that I was in a big metropolis.

Being from Miami, I especially couldn’t get over all of the different varieties of apples that I don’t get to experience at home. I was overwhelmed and baffled because most of my life I grew up with a very narrow apple frame of mind, only ever enjoying the juicy goodness of Red Delicious and Granny Smiths. So, in that moment, I couldn’t contain my apple curiosity.

For all you other apple lovers out there, here’s a brief list that’s sure to tantalize every taste bud:

For those with a sweet tooth check out Pink Lady, Golden Delicious, and Sundowner varieties.

For those who are looking for a more sour bite, explore Jonamac, Jonagold, Sierra Beauty, and Winesap varieties.

And for all you Penn farmers market lovers, be sure to check out the market in front of the bookstore (at 36th and Walnut) on Wednesdays from 10-2 pm. A little farther away is the Clark’s Park farmers market on 43rd and Baltimore that’s open Thursdays 3-7 pm and Saturdays 10-1 pm. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...